Vaping has taken the world by storm.
It was initially advertised as a healthier alternative to smoking cigarettes but has since been heavily socialized, especially among teens and young adults. Vaping, however, is as dangerous as smoking cigarettes.
Here are five reasons why you should stop vaping:
1. It can have physical — sometimes fatal — consequences. Research suggests that vaping can lead to chronic lung disease and asthma, among other serious conditions.
2. It costs a lot of money. While smoking cigarettes is more expensive, vaping isn’t cheap either. The startup price of a rechargeable nicotine vaping product (NVP) with refilled cartridges or e-liquids is three to five times higher than buying a pack of cigarettes. And money spent on either substantially reduces your money budget.
3. It takes you away from your loved ones. Ten percent of those who vape wanted to quit because it affected their social life. Some say they’re afraid of disappointing their parents —while others don’t want to be like their loved ones who already struggle with addiction.
4. It negatively impacts your mental health. People who vape are twice as likely to be diagnosed with depression. If you’re already depressed, vaping can worsen it and any other mental health disorder you have, like attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
5. It’s addictive. Vapes contain nicotine, the same addictive substance used in cigarettes. Addiction is a disease that affects millions of people but can be beaten.
How you can beat nicotine addiction:
- Start slow. It’s OK if you can’t quit cold turkey. Set a quit date and smoke less every day. One step forward is still a step in the right direction.
- Find distractions. When you start craving e-cigarettes, it’s good to find something to do. Play a game, read or listen to music. Distract yourself until the craving goes away. Just don’t distract yourself with snacking, which can lead to overeating.
- Get to know yourself. Try to learn what causes you to want to vape. Is it boredom, stress or anxiety? If you can identify the triggers, you can avoid them.
- Have ways to deal with stress. Get some gum or a fun stress ball. There are always cute dog and cat videos to look at, or you could calm yourself with the help of tai chi and other types of exercise.
- Get help. There are many people who understand the struggle of addiction and want to help you get your life back. There are plenty of classes and other resources to help you quit vaping or tobacco products. One of those classes is our Freshstart nicotine cessation classes.
Addiction can be challenging, but you’re not alone. At Tanner, we’re here for you and want nothing but the best for you and your health.