If you are an adult 18 years or older and are considering becoming a hospital volunteer, please review this application information:
- You must be able to devote four hours per week for a minimum of six months. (To learn about short term opportunities, please see information below.)
- Be willing to follow CDC recommendations for hospital volunteers, which include an immunization record (if born after 1957), be willing to get an annual flu shot, and an annual TB test.
- Submit personal references and have a background check
If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity, complete this online application.
College Student Volunteer Opportunities
If you are a student at the University of West Georgia (UWG), Tanner Health System has partnered with the University’s Center for Student Involvement (CSI) to enable you to have the best possible volunteer experience. Please contact the Coordinator for Student Volunteer Programs at the University of West Georgia to begin your application process.
All other college students, if you meet the criteria outlined in the adult volunteer sections and would like to begin the application process, please follow those instructions above.
High School Student Volunteer Opportunities
In 2016, Tanner began a new summer program called the Tanner Teen Institute. The program will run from June 1 through August 1 each year and is designed to develop future leaders in healthcare.
The qualifications for this program are:
- Be a student between the ages of 15 and 18.
- Have a 3.0 (B) grade point average.
- Return a COMPLETED application with parental/guardian signature and consents by deadline date.
- Provide two letters of recommendation -- one from a school counselor with GPA documentation included. No disciplinary actions in the last 12 months.
- Be available 6 weeks of summer. Minimum of 8 hours per week.
- Provide a copy of immunizations and complete a TB test.
- Attend Orientation with a parent.
- Be able to attend weekly leadership and healthcare exploration classes throughout summer.
This is a volunteer and leadership development opportunity. Students do not have to be in a healthcare pathway. They must only meet the guidelines above and be interested in learning more about the field of healthcare. There will be opportunities to continue volunteer service thru the school year if invited to do so at the end of the summer.
To apply for the Tanner Teen Institute, download and fill out this application: 2020 TTI Application
An additional year round program called Tanner Connections is available to students in Carroll and Haralson Counties. There is very specific criteria for this program. If you are interested in applying to this program, please contact the work-based learning coordinator at your high school for admission requirements.