The neonatal intensive care unit, or NICU, provides advanced, around-the-clock care to medically fragile newborns.
Among the babies served by the NICU are:
- Babies born before 32 weeks of gestation
- Babies born with a critical illness
- Multiple births (twins or triplets)
- Babies who need respiratory support
- Low-birthweight babies (weighing less than 5.5 pounds)
The Sally and John Francis Tanner Neonatal ICU at Tanner Medical Center/Carrollton supports the maternity centers at Tanner Medical Center/Carrollton and Tanner Medical Center/Villa Rica, as well as other regional hospitals as necessary.