What is Thomson Reuters?
Thomson Reuters is one of the world’s leading sources of intelligent information for businesses and professionals, combining industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial, legal, tax and accounting, healthcare, science and media markets.
What is the Thomson Reuters 15 Top Health Systems award?
The Thomson Reuters 15 Top Health Systems study identifies the 15 best health systems in the nation. This annual, quantitative study uses objective, independent research and public data sources. It is the only study that aggregates individual hospital performance into system-level data. Building on the 100 Top Hospitals® National Balanced Scorecard concept, this research allows health system leaders to understand how they measure up in terms of clinical quality and efficiency. Health systems do not apply, and winners do not pay to market their award.
The winners of the 15 Top Health Systems award outperformed their peers in a number of ways. They:
- Saved more lives and caused fewer patient complications
- Followed industry-recommended standards of care more closely
- Made fewer patient safety errors
- Released patients half a day sooner
- Scored better on overall patient satisfaction
How does a health system qualify for the study?
To qualify: A health system must have at least two general and applicable specialty, short-term, acute-care, non-federal U.S. hospitals. The study included nearly every system with valid 2009 and 2010 Medicare Provider Analysis and Review and 2011 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Hospital Compare data. This analysis included 321 systems.
Key performance measures:
- Risk-adjusted mortality index (in-hospital)
- Risk-adjusted complications index
- Risk-adjusted patient safety index
- Core measures mean percent
- 30-day risk-adjusted mortality rate
- 30-day risk-adjusted readmission rate
- Severity-adjusted average length of stay
- HCAHPS score (patient rating of overall hospital performance)
Tanner Health System was listed among small health systems, but it was the only health system in Georgia on the 15 Top Health Systems list in any category – small, medium or large.
Learn more about the Thomson Reuters 15 Top Health Systems study.