Safe Sitter® is a medically accurate, competency-based, highly structured babysitting preparation course designed for 11- to 13-year-olds. The curriculum, written by a pediatrician, is presented in easy-to-understand modules.
The class includes hands-on manikin practice, small-group interactive learning, role-playing and games. Each participant must pass a written and practical exam, proving mastery of key concepts.
The Safe Sitter program includes instruction in the following babysitting skills and techniques:
- Care of a Choking Infant/Child – Students learn what to do if an infant or child chokes. Each student is individually tested in these procedures.
- Injury Prevention and Injury Management – Students learn a system to enable them to evaluate the severity of a problem and to determine how to get help. Administering basic first aid for minor problems also is included in this section. Students learn how, why and where injuries can occur and how to prevent them.
- Safety for the Sitter – All aspects of staying safe are discussed for babysitters and the children in their care. Students learn how to react to a variety of threatening situations—from power failures to prowlers. For personal safety, they are taught strategies to use if they need to be picked up immediately from a babysitting job.
- Child Care Essentials – Students learn the basics of child development from infants to school-age children.
- Behavior Management – Students learn how to prevent problem behavior in addition to a system which classifies problem behavior by the risk of harm. They also learn how and when to call for help when managing problem behavior situations.
- Babysitting as a Business – The responsibilities of running a business—from setting fees to ethical considerations are discussed. Students learn how to screen jobs for safety, how to judge their own babysitting abilities, what information to leave with their own parents and what information to get from their employers.
Parents are invited to a closing ceremony at the end of the class. Students will demonstrate the skills they have learned during the day.
For more information or to register your child for the next Safe Sitter class, call 770.214.CARE.