As your community healthcare provider, Tanner Health System offers several financial assistance programs to help patients meet their medically necessary healthcare financial responsibilities.
Tanner's Patient Financial Assistance Program Policy
Tanner provides a Patient Financial Assistance Program to assist eligible uninsured and/or underinsured patients and their families with medical bills beyond their ability to pay.
Tanner Health System:
- Helps patients without health insurance to apply and to obtain Medicaid coverage, when applicable.
Offers financial assistance programs, which may discount a patient’s hospital bill up to 100 percent. The program discounts vary based upon the patient’s family size and income level.
Provides a 60 percent discount of hospital bills when patients have no health insurance AND the patient is not covered by Medicare or Medicaid.
Allows payment plans upon request.
Patients have a right to:
- The availability of free and reduced-charge services
The ability to gain admittance without pre-admission deposits
Not be transferred solely or in significant part for economic reasons
The availability of services provided
The terms of eligibility for free and reduced services
The application process for free and reduced charges
The name of person or office to which complaints or questions about the hospital’s participation in or operation of the program may be directed
Government programs that patients may qualify for include:
- Temporary Assistance for needy Families
- Social Security Disability
- Supplemental Security Income
Medicaid Referral Program Eligibility Requirements
Tanner will help patients apply for and obtain Medicaid health insurance coverage when patients:
- Have no insurance (self pay) or limited insurance coverage
Have hospital bills of $1,000 or more
Have limited monthly income
For assistance or questions, please call the Patient Financial Assistance Department at 770.838.8435 or 770.838.8086.
Tanner Patient Financial Assistance Program Eligibility Requirements
The Tanner Financial Assistance Program covers payment for medically necessary care, but does not cover routine co-pays and deductibles for patients having medical insurance coverage unless a hardship can be documented. The program also excludes services deemed not medically necessary, such as cosmetic surgery or fertility services.
How to apply for financial assistance:
- Download an application. To apply for the Tanner Patient Financial Assistance Program, click the links to download the instructions and application, then follow the directions. Supporting documents—such as bank statements, W-2s, etc.—are required as part of a complete application. (En Español: Para applicar, bajar la instrucciones y forma.)
- Meet required income and family size requirements. Tanner uses a sliding scale based on your family size and income level to determine each patient’s hospital discount. The family income must be less than two times (or 200 percent) the current Federal Poverty Guidelines for each size of family. Click the following link to view or download Tanner’s 2013 Patient Financial Assistance Program Information sheet as a PDF document. (En Español: Información sobre el programa de ayuda financiera para el paciente.) This document will explain how Tanner determines if a patient meets the required income guidelines.
- Complete and submit the Patient Financial Assistance Application. Please return the completed application with supporting documentation within 30 days of receipt. We will notify you of our financial assistance decision within five days of receiving the completed application. Assistance may be denied without a completed application. For help completing the application or other questions, please call the Patient Financial Assistance Department at 770.812.5795 or e-mail email@example.com.
To view or download a copy of the Financial Assistance Policy - Determining Eligibility for Indigent and Charity, please click the applicable hospital:
To view or download a copy of Tanner’s Billing and Collection Policy, please click Policy.