What Do You Know About Anemia?
1. Anemia is the most common blood disorder. What happens?
a. body produces too much iron
b. too few red blood cells produced
c. plasma becomes thick
d. too many white blood cells produced.
2. What is the most common cause of anemia?
a. too little sleep
b. too much sugar
c. iron supply too low
d. X-ray radiation
3. What else can cause an anemic condition?
b. vitamin imbalance
c. thyroid deficiency
d. all of the above
4. Which of these groups is the most likely to experience anemia?
5. How does anemia affect the body?
a. the body is less able to transport oxygen from the lungs
b. blood becomes thin
c. tissues retain fluids
d. none of the above
6. Your body needs an adequate supply of which of these in order for red blood cells to mature normally?
b. vitamin C
c. vitamin B-12 and folic acid
d. bone marrow
7. Which of these are signs of iron-deficiency anemia?
a. pale gums
b. dark circles under eyes
d. numbness in hands, feet
8. How does iron-deficiency anemia affect teenagers?
a. more trouble with written expression
b. can't concentrate
c. aggravates hyperactivity
d. a and b
9. Iron-deficiency anemia can cause pica, a rare condition in which a person craves eating nonfood items. Which of these would he or she eat?
d. any of the above
10. Anemia often contributes to which of these among the elderly?
a. more falls
b. high blood pressure
c. diminished eyesight
1. b, too few red blood cells produced. These cells carry oxygen to all the cells in the body. Anemia isn't a single disease but a condition that has many different causes.
2. c, iron supply too low. This is the most common cause worldwide.
3. d, all of the above.
4. b, women. Women ages 65 and younger are six times more likely to suffer from anemia than men. After 65, the ratio of women to men narrows to 2 to 1.
5. a, the body is less able to transport oxygen from the lungs to the cells of the body. Severe anemia can affect heart function.
6. c, vitamin B-12 and folic acid. Both are needed for red blood cells to grow to the right size and shape to carry oxygen.
7. a, pale gums. Pale fingernail beds and eyelid linings (conjunctiva), forceful heartbeats and fatigue may signal mild anemia.
8. d, a and b. Teenage with iron deficiency can suffer memory loss and increased difficulty concentrating.
9. d, any of the above. Adequate nutrition is the best cure.
10. a, more falls.
Online Medical Reviewers:
Byrd, Sylvia RN, MBA
Godsey, Cynthia M.S., M.S.N., APRN
Lambert, J.G. M.D.
Ratini, Melinda DO, MS
This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care.
Always follow your healthcare provider's instructions.